Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Zoo

Ashley and I took Grandma Missy to the zoo to celebrate her birthday - it was so great to be back at one of our favorite places after a LONG winter!
The highlight of our day was seeing this baby orangutan.
The next picture illustrates why I am so torn in how I feel about zoos.  I almost didn't post it because it makes me feel so sad and guilty just looking at it.  But, I have to remind myself that zoos actually play a big role in wildlife conservation, that orangutans (and many other zoo animals) are an endangered species that can breed under protection in captivity.  I also know that Ashley and I would never have the chance to see such amazing creatures in their natural habitats.
Ashley using her "noculars". :-)
We got a kick out of watching this kangaroo sleep!
The peackocks were fun to watch, too!
This monkey looked sad :(
Ashley with her "baby orangutan" from the gift shop :)

No comments: